Are you a YouTube vlogger? Or perhaps you are thinking about starting a YouTube channel? Whatever your reasons for being here, you want to learn more about growing your YouTube community fast. Follow our tips below on how to boost your engagement, get your videos into the recommended section, and optimizing your content.
The Three Key Components
There are three key elements to running a successful YouTube channel. Whether you are new to YouTube or you have been doing it for a while, our tips below will help you to grow your channel.
- Use YouTube SEO Tools – Optimize your YouTube videos with best keywords for your niche
- Master the Algorithm – Learn about the algorithm and use it to optimize your content
- Engage with Your Audience – Your chances of being promoted in the ‘recommended’ section are increased if your audience is active
Read on to find out more about how to run a successful YouTube channel that not only invokes views, but also generates high levels of engagement.
7 Steps to YouTube Success
Your Channel’s Theme
Decide whether your goal is to entertain or inform, or both. Keep your content relevant and on track by asking yourself, “why would anyone watch this video?”
Optimize Your Content
Research into the keywords for your channel’s niche. Once you have your list of keywords, you can also use these to develop video content ideas. For instance, if you run a parenting vlog, your keywords may be, “parenting advice”, “solo parenting”, and “a day in the life”. Already, there are a few ideas here!
It is important to understand the difference between wrong and right ‘clickbait’. While the aim is to invoke curiosity, you should never lie about your content or mislead your audience. Think of a click-worthy title that will make people want to check your video out!
Retention and Watch Time
One of the key ways to get your videos into YouTube’s recommended section is to have great audience retention.
Retention – Percentage of the video your average viewer watches
Watch Time – How long your viewer watches
Overall, your goal is to generate interest throughout your video to keep your audience watching until the end. But how do you do this? It’s simple – produce quality, entertaining content. You should also pay attention to the length of your videos. YouTube favors lengthy videos that have good audience retention. Why? Because ultimately YouTube wants to place ads into videos and longer videos place more ads.
When you are creating your video thumbnail, you need to make sure that it is eye- catching and bright. Regardless of whether your audience is tuning in on a smartphone or laptop, your image needs to look great whatever size it is.
Whether it is your first video or 500th, you should cater your content to non-subscribers. Every time you hit the record button, you should talk as if it is their first time watching any of your videos. Tell your audience who you are, highlight what the video is about, and tease your audience about the climax of the video.
Engage, Engage, Engage
YouTube loves it when an audience is engaging with videos. To get your video in the recommended section, you need to encourage your audience to engage with your content.
- Invite your audience to comment and share your videos
- Ask them to subscribe to your channel and to turn the notification button on, so they can tune into your videos as soon as you hit publish
- Ask your viewers to share your video if they enjoyed it
- Publish on a consistent schedule that your audience is aware of
- Pin your comment at the top of the comments section. Use this space to ask your audience a question. Not only will this help you to create content, but will also increase your engagement levels
Overall, hopefully this essential guide to growing your YouTube channel has inspired you to get stuck in! On the whole, with our tips, you should be well on your way to boosting your engagement, creating entertaining content, and optimizing your channel.